Monday, May 18, 2009

Round two.


Well last week was a big learning curve for me. The most important thing I took away was to 'know your film' and 'trust you that you know your film'.

This end of production...the post end with color corrects and sound mixes, as I have mentioned is the area I am not as familiar with, so help and guidance was what I needed. I had my color correct session and through a series of conversations, suggestions and compromises found myself when I left unsure of what we had done. It did not feel right. Now it is not anyone's fault and we were all there to do what we thought was best - agendas can sometimes be different. With that said though I found that after sleeping on it and showing the results of the session to someone close to the film I trusted I realized I had some changes to make. I know I did the right thing. It looks and feels right now and I am really happy with the end result.

So let my lesson be a lesson to all of you out there feeling the pressure of making important decisions regarding your film. You have lived with the film longer then anyone else. At times that can be a bad thing as it might be hard to have perspective but it can also make the difference in situations like these. I learned that sometimes no matter what you have talked about - pulled and selected for reference before making your film - in color palette or what have you - when all is said and done, what does the film you actually shot and edited say to you. Does where you thought you were in the beginning really hold true when you are done? I found that 'Ninety-one' become its own being irrespective of what intentions I had for it. That is not to say that I didn't make the film I set out to make it is just to say that it is now it's own life force and speaks to me from that point.

Thank you to those who indulged me last week, I really took a lot with me.

So bring on the this new one. I am ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment